Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Signs Baby Sign Language DVD Review



Happy Signs Day and Night DVDs are a little cheesy and definitely not Disney quality, but my daughter loved them when she was 11-12 months old. Most importantly, she learned from them. The DVDs feature Maurice the Monkey, an animated character, who learns to sign. The ultra-repetitive format is great for a baby learning their first few signs. Maurice practices the signs many times in the cartoon, then he teaches his friend the Hippo the sign. Then real babies and children practice the signs with the shows' host and with their parents. Like I said - repetitive.

My daughter watched these for about a month, until I found Baby Signing Time. She signed her first sentence "MONKEY SLEEP" while watching Maurice crawl into bed. The videos are effective, but I don't know how much longer my daughter would have watched them. Probably forever, but I couldn't take much more of them.

These videos use slightly different signs than the Signing Time DVDs. Since there are 25+ videos in the Signing Time series, I would choose Baby Signing Time to purchase. If you want to take a look at these videos (Maurice is cute the first couple of times), check them out from the library and skip over signs that vary from what you are teaching your child.