Sunday, February 24, 2008

Recipe: Pancakes - Egg-free, milk-free, wheat-free, and gluten-free

I made my first allergen-free pancakes for supper tonight. I tested out millet flour, Ener-G Egg Replacement Powder, and Arrowroot Starch.

Here's my recipe, adapted from The Yeast Connection Cookbook. I'm bold--adapting a recipe before I've even used the products!

Millet Pancakes
1 1/4 c. millet flour
1 T arrowroot starch
1/4 t salt
1 c. water (or milk)
1 T oil
3 t Ener-G Egg Replacement Powder and 1/4 c. warm water (or 2 eggs)

Mix egg replacement powder with warm water. Mix together all remaining ingredients. Batter will be a medium-thin consistency. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot skillet. Brown and flip.

These pancakes are fine. They have a good start and finish with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm not sure which product causes the aftertaste, so I will continue to experiment. But, I realized that I'm not allergic to sugar or cinnamon, so I added them. The pancakes were definitely tastier. But, since I will be using pancakes as bread, I won't do this all the time.

Extra pancakes can be reheated in the toaster.