Friday, February 22, 2008

So Many Food Allergies! Would it be better to starve to death or die of anaphylactic shock?

Perhaps I'm being a tad dramatic, but I just received my allergy results from my recent visit to the ENT. I had both the skin-prick and the blood-draw tests done. And here are my results:

Food Allergies

  • IgE type (The kind that can make your throat swell-shut and kill you, although mine aren't that severe. IgE allergies are true allergies, not sensitivities and they cause a reaction in the individual in a short period of time.)
    • Peanut
    • Hazelnut
    • Almond
    • Pistachio
    • Walnut
    • Coconut
    • Wheat
    • Corn
    • Egg White
  • I Don't Know What Type (I need to clear this up with my doctor. I'm not sure if these are IgE or IgG (IgG allergies are actually sensitivities and you don't die from them. They just make you feel bad. It could take up to three days after you eat the food before you have a reaction.).
    • Lima Beans (I don't have a problem with that!)
    • Pinto Beans
    • Cheddar Cheese
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Coconut
    • Gluten
    • Malt
    • Milk (Cow's)
    • Peas
    • Pear
    • Chili Pepper
    • Rice
    • Sesame
    • Soy
    • Black Tea
    • Wheat
    • Baker's Yeast
    • Brewer's Yeast
    • Yogurt
    • Rye (?)
    • Barley (?)
No, I'm not crying, my eyes are just watering from my environmental allergies. You know, dust, dogs, cats, mold, pollen, etc. That's my short list. I won't bore you with those details.

So, obviously, I'll be doing a lot of research on allergies and special diets. I'm also going to visit a dietitian. But if you have any recipes that don't involve these foods, I'd love to have them!