Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Muffin Recipe: Wheat-free, Egg-free, Soy-free, Corn-free

It took me about 30 minutes to find a recipe online that I could easily modify to fit my crazy allergy-free diet. But I did find one--and it tasted pretty good. My daughter kept asking for more, and she has no qualms about spitting out food she doesn't like.

This recipe is for plain muffins, but I think it would be really good with blueberries or another fruit in it. I ate these with my chili tonight. They are thick, moist, and a little chewy. Definitely denser than a light cake.





Plain Muffins (Wheat-Free, Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Corn-Free)

2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
3 tsp Hain Pure Food Featherweight Baking Powder (corn-free, aluminum-free, gluten-free, sodium-free)
1 1/4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer beaten in 2 tbsp water
1 4/5 cups Meyenberg Goat Milk (or water, milk substitute or juice)
1/4 cup canola oil (or oil of choice)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Combine beaten Egg Replacer, milk, and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir until dry ingredients are thoroughly dampened. (Since this is gluten-free flour, you can mix it longer without making it tough.) Turn into greased muffin pans or cupcake liners and fill about 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes or until done.