Monday, May 19, 2008

Are our pets toxic? Of course, they are! But do we care?


Mommy blogger Science-Mom recently posted findings from a study that shows pets often have toxic chemicals in their urine. Of course they do! They live in our toxin-filled houses (carpet, furniture, foam-based products, harsh cleaning products, etc.). They romp and play and do their business on our chemical-laden lawns (fertilizer, weed killer, ant killer, etc.)

So yes, they are as toxic as we have made them (and ourselves). Am I worried about having a dog in the house? No. I'm guessing my family tracks in more chemicals on the bottoms of our shoes than he does on his whole 11-lb body.

But, I do plan on switching to more natural cleaners like vinegar, baking soda, and ammonia. It'll be better for my family...and my dog.