Friday, May 23, 2008

Introducing Art to Young Children



Baby Einstein teaches babies and toddlers about art, but can parents be as entertaining (or more so) and accomplish the same thing? Definitely, and even if you don't know anything about art today, you can help cultivate an interest and an understanding in both you and your child. Ginger Carlson gives several suggestions at Being Savvy.

Here are my favorite suggestions:

  1. Introduce your child to all kinds of art--it's easy to do at an online museum like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
  2. Ask your child what they like about the piece of art.
  3. Ask your child how the piece makes them feel.
  4. Talk about textures. My two-year-old loves art projects with texture: rough, shiny, smooth, puffy, etc.
  5. Look at children's art books. I would love to have Can You Find it?: Search and Discover More than 150 Details in 19 Works of Art by Judith Cressy.
Now, I'm not planning on going out and teaching my two-year-old the names of all the famous paintings, but I will ask her different questions when we look at the art around us.