Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Mommy Philosophy

My number one rule in parenting is: "Never underestimate your child." Well, I mean number one after the obvious ones: love them, feed them, provide for them, etc.

Drs. Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn shaped my parenting attitude with their three books: Baby Signs, Baby Minds, and Baby Hearts. It is amazing what a baby is capable of! Because of them, I began exposing my daughter to the alphabet and spelling before she was one. Now, she can say and almost fingerspell the entire alphabet. And she's starting to spell words.

Tonight, I broke my number one rule after the obvious ones. My husband suggested we go strawberry picking this weekend. I thought that would be fun and said that my daughter would have fun picking the plants. My husband defended my daughter's abilities and insisted she could pick strawberries if we showed her how. And he's right. I'm sure she can.