Friday, June 27, 2008

Help! I'm Losing My House Cleaner

My sister lives with us and cleans our house. She does dishes, laundry, washes floors, cleans the bathroom, etc. But she's moving out in a couple weeks and I'm freaking out! I'm remembering back to the dark days when Kalen was little, I was breast-feeding, I was cleaning the house, and I never had a moment for myself. Is it going to be like that, again? Yikes!

Well, I've learned a lot since those first days as a new mom.

  1. It's important to ask for help. That means, tell your spouse when you need him to iron clothes and do the dishes.
  2. Just because you're the mom, that doesn't mean you are responsible for everything. Your child and your spouse are responsible for the state of the house, also.
  3. Things don't need to be perfect. My bedroom hasn't been clean in about two-years. I figure that that's the place people are least likely to see, so it is the least important to keep clean. (I am re-evaluating this philosophy.)
So, all you working moms and stay-at-home-moms---how do you manage to keep a clean house (by that I simply mean not filthy) and have time for yourself and your family?