Saturday, June 14, 2008

It was easier to sign than to talk after my operation

Since I started learning more about sign language, I've been curious about how it enables children with mental disabilities to communicate at a normal level. For example, down syndrome kids can communicate and even learn to read by age 3! Autistic children can use sign language to communicate.

Several days ago, I had surgery. When I woke up from the anesthesia, I had a very hard time getting people to understand my words. I would say something, (very clearly in my mind) and no one would understand. So I switched to sign language. Wow! It was so much easier! Bryan instantly knew what I needed and wanted.

So, I'm wondering, is there something similar to the brain-scrambling effects of anesthesia and communication difficulties in down syndrome and autistic kids?