Thursday, June 26, 2008

Squash Puppies - allergy-free recipe

I have a philosophy that instead of trying to remake my favorite foods into allergen-free foods that just don't taste quite right, I should find recipes I've never tried before. Tonight, I modified several recipes for Yellow Squash Patties to create Squash Puppies. These were tasted and enjoyed by my sister, Kalen, my dog Franklin, and myself.

Squash Puppies

2 1/2 cups yellow squash, grated
2 teaspoons onion, grated
3/4 cup liquid (I used goat milk)
2 cups buckwheat flour
3/4 cup millet flour
3 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder (corn-free)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper

1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add squash, onions, and milk. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
2. Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat. Once oil is hot, drop mixture in oil 1-2 tablespoons at a time. The mixture should hold it's shape, but be a little less thick than a biscuit. When the bottom is brown, flip the puppy over. Once both sides are brown and crispy remove from oil and put on paper towels to cool.

Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!

This recipe is dairy-free, wheat-free, corn-free, egg-free, yeast-free, and soy-free.