Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vegan Chip Cookie Recipe: Egg-free, Dairy-free, Wheat-free, Soy-free, Corn-Free

Right now I have a batch of these cookies in the oven. I'm hoping for the best. I had to substitute Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour because I was out of rice flour. I'm sure this will change the taste and texture slightly.

VEGAN CHIP COOKIES
(from The Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook)
Makes 30
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
2 1/2 cups rice flour (although I used a bean flour mix)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (I used Hain's Featherweight because it doesn't contain cornstarch)
2 cups dried fruit, chocolate chips, carob chips, raisins, or dates (I used1 1/2 cups dried cranberries and 1/2 cup dried pineapple)

1. In a mixer, cream together the applesauce and the sugars. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Stir in the chocolate chips or dried fruit.

2. Drop 2-inch mounds onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 8 minutes or until firm. Cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in a covered container.


THE RESULTS
I really like the texture of these cookies. They are light and cake-like. They actually look like a cookie, too! They rise well and don't turn into a flat pancake. I definitely want to try these again with rice flour. I think that will give the batter a blander flavor so the flavor of the fruit will come through. I like my cookies sweeter, so I dipped these in honey. When I make them again, I will add more sugar and use sweeter fruit. But, these are definitely the best baked dessert I've cooked since I started my new diet with the closest texture to the real thing.