Saturday, July 12, 2008

Keep Track of Your Favorite Blogs with a Feed Reader like Google Reader or Bloglines


I used to wonder how we lived without the Internet. Now I wonder how we survived with out RSS feeds! RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. I know, that doesn't help much, does it? Basically, it is a way to have new content from blogs and news sites sent to one place. That way, you don't have to visit each site individually. And you don't have to be disappointed if you type in the address only to find out there is no new content. In really simple terms--it's like your favorite sites "email" you new content whenever it's added. But, the "emails" are sent to a feed reader, not your email program.

So, how do you start getting RSS feeds? It's easy. Just set up a free account. I prefer Google Reader, but I also use Bloglines. (That way I keep my personal reading separate from my work reading.) Other feed readers are NetVibes, NewsGator, or MyYahoo.

Once you set up an account, just start adding your favorite blogs and websites. Look for the orange RSS feed symbol and click on that, or copy the web address into your reader. I've made it really easy for you to add Holly Tried It to your reader. Just go to the top, right-hand side of my blog where it says "Subscribe." Click on the orange icon and then click on the reader you chose. You can add my posts only, or you can subscribe to all the comments, also.

If you find that it's not as easy as I've said, write your question in the comment section of this post. I'll do my best to help you out.