Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oops! I broke the potty!


Every time I pick Kalen up from school ("two's class!") she runs to show me how she can use the potty. This little girl in the picture always comes to torment her while Kalen's showing off her skills.

Well, Kalen was having a hard time flushing the toilet. So, not wanting to touch the handle of a germ filled two-year-old bathroom, I kicked the handle to flush the toilet. Whoosh! It flushed. Of course, Kalen started trying to kick the handle, too. I began to question the wisdom of my actions.

And then, water started overflowing the tank of the toilet (not the bowl). The teacher freaked out. She didn't know what to do. Drawing upon my water utility experience, I attempted to turn off the water valve. Oops. I turned it the wrong way. (I struggle with right and left which is why I've already started teaching Kalen. If she knows it before she has memories, maybe she won't have to think about it!).

Back to the story...water rushed out of the toilet and down the drain in the bathroom. All the two-year-olds gathered at the door. Kalen yelled, "Mommy, Mommy!" terrified that I would be harmed by the torrent of water. I lifted the lid off the toilet and saw that the float-arm had broken off. I opened the flapper-valve and drained all the water and then I turned the shut-off valve the correct way. The water stopped. The kids calmed down. And the center staff wondered how in the world this all happened.