Friday, July 4, 2008

Where are the Red, White, and Blue on the 4th of July?

Today we celebrated the 4th of July, but we never said USA, America, freedom, independence, England, soldiers, declaration of independence, etc. We did say "Fireworks!" and "Party!" over and over, again.

I realized that my husband and I do very little to incorporate the actual meaning of holiday's into our celebrations. I would like to change that (but I don't want to start to dress my daughter to match the day. She has red, white, and blue outfits, but I couldn't bear to put her in them.)

Today, I could have shown Kalen the flag and told her that it was special and that we are proud of it. I'm not sure what else I could have done. What ideas do you have for incorporating the meaning of the 4th (or any other holiday) into your celebration?


Just thought of this: We could have sung "Yankee Doodle."