Friday, October 17, 2008

Allergen-Free Hotdog Cake for Halloweiner Party



It's that time again. Time for the Annual Halloweiner Party. You haven't heard of a Halloweiner Party before? Too bad, because you are missing out on the fun. A Halloweiner party combines Halloween with all things Weiner. We created the event to celebrate our weiner dogs' birthdays and their victory at the Annual Oktoberfest Dachshund Beauty Pageant.

All events and food relate to weiners or hotdogs. We make a large hotdog pinata, grill hotdogs and bratwursts, and play pin the weiner on the, uh, bun. It just wouldn't remain a G rated party any other way.

We dress our dogs up in hotdog bun costumes and Bryan wears his, "I love my Weiner" shirt. All party guests bring a hotdog themed food. It must either contain weiners (Pigs in a Blanket, Little Smokies, etc.) or be shaped like a hotdog.


Which is why I am attempting to make this cake. Only, because of my food allergies, I have to make all kinds of substitutions. I'm using Namaste Chocolate Cake for the bun (I'll probably ice the bun like brown or just say it's Rye.) I also plan to cut out extra cake and shape it like a hotdog and ice with red-brown frosting. Since my recipe is dairy-free, wheat-free, soy-free, corn-free, nut-free, and yeast-free, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I promise, I'll post a picture. And if it's horrible, I'll even submit it to Cake Wrecks.

If you have a great recipe for frosting without using butter, shortening, or Spectrum Shortening, please let me know. And if you know of a good hotdog game, post a comment.