Saturday, November 22, 2008

So, My Kid Has a Peanut Allergy

My daughter was tested for food allergies while she had surgery to unblock her tear ducts. We got the results back this week. Fortunately, she doesn't have a long list of true food allergies. Just one. She's allergic to peanuts. IgE allergic. It's not just a food sensitivity. It's the kind that can be dangerous. She hasn't had any severe reactions, but IgE allergies can seem like no big deal one day and the next they can kill you. That doesn't bother me to much with my own peanut allergy, but somehow, it's different with Kalen. I can't watch her everywhere. I can't control her actions forever. One day, she's going to want to kiss her peanut-butter eating boyfriend.

Fortunately, her daycare is peanut-free. They don't even buy products manufactured in the same plant as peanuts. That's a real relief for me. I thought I would need to pack her a lunch everyday.