Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Sheep in the Drain - Or Imaginary Bravery

My 2 1/2 year old daughter believes that bears use the potty in our house. Occasionally, she waits to use the toilet until the bear finishes going. She even wipes the bear's bottom for him before taking her turn on the toilet.

And now, sheep live in the bathtub drain. Not just one sheep, but lots of sheep. Today, when she pulled the plug, sheep came crawling out. She fearfully slid to the back of the tub. I wasn't sure what to do. Pretend with her that the sheep were scary? Tell her she was silly? Ask her why she wasn't afraid of the potty-trained bear?

I decided to help her learn bravery by controlling her imaginary world. I held her hand and helped her weave her way between sheep to pull the plug in the tub. Then she surprised me. She sat on a sheep and "Squashed it!" Those pesky bathtub sheep won't bother her again.