Friday, January 23, 2009

How to Save Money on Salon Hair Color

I freely admit it. I've chemically altered my hair since I was in my early 20s. My first gray hair sprouted when I was 17. By the time I was 21, college classmates were plucking the growing population of grays during boring classes. By the time I was 24, my husband (who towers over the top of my head by an additional 13 inches) asked me to do something about it. I couldn't blame him. When he looked at me, he saw gray hair first. So I highlighted.

And then I tried at-home color. It was cheap, but the results weren't great. It faded quickly. The color was flat. And then I developed an allergy to it. (a story for another time).

So I switched to professional hair coloring. Wow! The results were incredible. The softness, the shine! I was hooked. But, wow, the cost began adding up. So in an effort to avoid going au naturale with my hair, I asked Salon Mosaic for some suggestions to saving money on hair color.

Ways to Save on Professional Hair Color:

  1. Use a top level stylist in the salon to get the hair color right. After you have found a color that looks great on you, switch to a "protege" or entry level stylist in the shop. Applying the color isn't as difficult as getting the color formula right. Highlights can be more challenging, so you can ask for the protege to apply the color and your favorite expert to apply the highlights.
  2. Don't get a full color job every time you go in. I use a three-visit cycle. Visit one: Full hair color and highlights. Visit two: color on the roots only. Visit three: color and highlights on the roots only. And then I start the cycle over.
  3. Don't be shy. Let them know you want to save money on your color. They want you to come back, so they can give you suggestions for your style.