Friday, January 2, 2009

I can still read like a girl!

Thanks, Book of Joe, for your post - I wish I could read like a girl discussing the article of that title by Michelle Slatalla in the December 31, 2008 New York Times. (Phew! Now that all the credits are given, let's move on to something interesting.)

In her article, Michelle eloquently bemoans the loss of her childhood ability to lose track of time and place and enter wholely into a work of fiction.

I am not sure when or exactly how I started merely reading books instead of living in them. I could make the usual excuses about how I no longer have the luxury of time to give in to my imagination; when I sit down with a book, I feel the pressure — of unfinished work, unfolded laundry, unpaid bills. But I suppose the true reason is sadder. It’s an inevitable byproduct of growing up that I formed too many opinions of my own to be able to give in wholeheartedly to the prospect of living inside someone else’s universe.
After reading this article, I'm proud to say, "I still read like a girl!" Here's the proof:
  • I have read The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley at least twenty-five times, (the last time while I was pregnant), and still could feel the heat of the desert sun and see the visions from the Meeldtar and feel the confusion of a girl who was a bridge between two nations.
  • Just this week, I read The Fifth Floor by Michael Harvey. When I took a break to sleep, my dreams were filled with the fourteen-year-old who wanted to kill her step-father and the ex-cop who was trying to help her.
  • When I visit the library, I always visit the JA (Junior Adult) section. If teens are browsing, I go to the adult section, and then come back after they're gone. It just feels weird competing with teens for the same books. My most recent discovery, Hilari Bell's Farsala Trilogy. And another great discover, The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.
All that to say, I still read like a girl, and I like it! How about you? Has adult experience and responsibility stolen your youthful love of reading? If not, how do you know you still read like a girl?